SJ - June 6, 2021
Golfer Jon Rahm was forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament on Saturday. He had been in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 and was being tested daily.
Rahm, after building a six stroke lead through the first three rounds, found out that he had tested positive. He was told about the positive test on live TV and his obvious disappointment tells it all.
Surreal TV moment as six-stroke leader Jon Rahm learns he tested positive for COVID and Jim Nantz tries to make sense of it without knowing what Rahm's been told pic.twitter.com/WvD6LmAlxs
— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) June 5, 2021
It's unfortunate that the PGA hasn't adapted at all throughout the pandemic to what has been learned. Rahm is asymptomatic and playing a sport that is held completely outdoors.
Both of those factors make it extremely unlikely that he would spread the virus to anyone else. Not to mention the fact that an increasing number of people are now vaccinated.
Rahm's caddy, assuming he isn't vaccinated, would likely be the only person that might have a slight chance of getting the virus from him. Although the chances are extremely low.