SJ - April 7, 2021
The NFL hasn't had much to say about the growing number of sexual assault allegations against Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. That changed on Tuesday after the first the first massage therapist to file a lawsuit went public.
NFL VP of communications Brian McCarthy confirmed that the league has opened up an investigation under the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy. He also called the allegations facing one of the league's biggest stars, "deeply disturbing."
From Pro Football Talk:
The NFL did not comment on the start of that investigation, but NFL vice president of communications Brian McCarthy did issue a comment on Tuesday.
“The allegations are deeply disturbing and we take these issues very seriously,” McCarthy said in a statement to PFT. “Immediately following news of the first allegations last month, and as has been reported, we initiated an investigation under the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy. We are continuing to closely monitor all developments in the matter.”
A league source told PFT that the league has been in contact with Buzbee. It’s unclear when the league might take any action, including placing Watson on the Commissioner Exempt list while the investigations play out. If they do and Watson changes course by reporting for work with the Texans, he would be placed on paid leave.
The path this is all heading down makes it seem like a trip to the Commissioner Exempt list is more likely than not. I fully expect Tyrod Taylor to see time at quarterback in Houston to start the season.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.